A bigger, better and newly-expanded Al Mouj Muscat Marathon is prepared for a record entry in 2018, as it sets out to satisfy the increasing local, regional and international demand for long-distance running events. More than 6,000 runners are expected to participate in the 7th annual Al Mouj Muscat Marathon, hundreds of who are travelling from overseas, including UK, France, India, South Africa, US, German, Ireland and the Netherlands.
The Muscat Marathon was first held in 2012. Organised by the Muscat Road Runners the inaugural event attracted 135 competitors. In 2017 it cemented its position as one of the star events in Oman’s sporting calendar when it bought on-board the established event management expertise of Oman Sail and the support of title sponsor Al Mouj Muscat, the renowned waterfront destination. Following dedicated efforts by Al Mouj Muscat and Oman Sail to put the marathon on the map, the number of participants entering the event has grown by 600 percent this year compared to 2017.
To be held on January 18th and 19th, the enhanced event will feature three new additional running categories with more than 5,000 runners now expected across all classes, a significant increase from the 1,300 – from no less than 76 nationalities – who took part in 2017.
The Al Mouj Muscat Marathon features six race categories, opening the event up to runners of all ages and fitness levels.
- Kids’ Run – held on January 18th, this will feature three different age groups with 7 and 8 year-olds on a 1Km course; 9 and 10 year-olds on a 2.4Km course; and 11 and 12 year-olds running a 4Km course. All the young competitors receive a medal and the school with the most Kids’ Run finishers win a trophy and gym equipment valued at RO1,000. First start: 1500.
- Marathon – held on January 19th, along with all other remaining race categories. The full 42Km main event is sub-divided into Open, Veterans and Super Veterans age groups (17-39, 40-55 and 56-99 years-old respectively). There is a RO2,000 prize for the first male and first female runner. Start: 0600.
- Marathon Relay – this is a team category with 6 runners each taking on 7Km of the full Marathon course. Open to male, female and mixed teams with at least two female runners. Start: 0600.
- Half Marathon – is also sub-divided into Open, Veterans and Super Veterans age groups. Start: 0600.
- 10 KM – this middle-distance category also features a Juniors age group (10-16 years-old) in addition to the Open, Veterans and Super Veterans groups. Start: 0930.
- Charity Fun Run (5 KM) – open to any runner from 10 years-old, entry fees in this category will benefit the Oman Diabetes Association (ODA). The official charity partner for the Al Mouj Muscat Marathon, RO4 of the RO5 Charity Fun Run registration fee will go directly to fund the work of the ODA, a non-governmental, non-profit organisation. Start: 0930.