The festive season calls for easy to cook and ample food for everyone to enjoy.
- Large eggs – 8
- Mayonnaise – 3tbsp
- Sour cream – 3tbsp
- Canned chipotle pepper (chopped) – 1tsp
- Cider vinegar – 1tsp
- Curry powder – ¼tsp
- Salt – 1/8tsp
- Chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil and/or chives) – optional
Paprika – 1tsp
- Place eggs in a large saucepan, add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 1 inch and bring to a rapid boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes before draining.
- Peel the egg shells and cut the eggs in half, lengthwise. Remove the yolks and keep the whites aside.
- In a food processor, combine yolks, mayonnaise, sour cream, chipotle pepper, vinegar, curry powder and salt.
- Transfer the filling to a pastry bag with a large round or open star tip; you could also use a re-sealable plastic bag with a small bit of the corner snipped off.
- Pipe the yolk mixture neatly into egg white halves. Transfer eggs to a serving platter. Cover and chill until serving time (up to 24 hours).
- To serve, sprinkle eggs with paprika and fresh herbs.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Canned black beans (drained and rinsed) – 2cups
- Canned corn (drained) – 2cups
- Red onion (chopped) – 1/3cup
- Fresh cilantro (chopped) – 1/4cup
- Lime juice – 3tbsp
- Olive oil – 1tsp
- Salt – 1/2tsp
- Ground cumin – 1/2tsp
- Ground pepper – 1/8tsp
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and chill overnight.
- Serve as needed.
- Frozen puff pastry (defrosted overnight in the fridge) – 2 sheets
- Large egg – 1
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese – ½ cup
- Finely grated gruyere cheese – 1 cup
- Fresh thyme leaves (minced) – 1tsp
- Kosher salt – 1tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured board until it’s 10 by 12 inches.
- Beat the egg and brush the surface of the pastry.
- Sprinkle each sheet evenly with the parmesan, gruyere, thyme, salt and pepper.
- With the rolling pin, lightly press the flavourings into the puff pastry.
- Cut each sheet crosswise with a floured knife or pizza wheel into 11 or 12 strips.
- Twist each strip and lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned and puffed. Turn each straw and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Cool and serve at room temperature.