Of course, the best chefs in the country are men; but how about whipping up an easy dish at home? Here are two that can help make a cook out of even those who have no culinary skills.
Make easy lettuce cups, packed with chicken, for your family’s dinner or even as an appetizer for the party over the weekend.
- 1kg chicken breast, cut into strips
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon re soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- Place chicken strips and cornstarch in a large re-sealable bag, close it and toss around to coat the pieces in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and allow it to brown on both sides.
- Now add soy sauce and cook for a minute. Follow that by adding honey and sesame seeds.
- Continue to cook by moving the pieces around until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through. This might take about 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken strips lettuce leaves, topped with desired toppings – shredded carrot, sliced cucumber and lime wedges.
Eggs can be eaten any time and are, perhaps, the easiest ones to prepare in a variety of dishes.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 slices turkey bacon diced
- 1/4 cup pineapple mango salsa or diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, and add the water, salt and pepper. Whisk it all together until light and fluffy.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium high heat until it’s hot, but not scorching. Spray it with non-stick vegetable spray on all sides and add the eggs.
- Swirl the eggs around in the pan sto coat the bottom and go half way up the sides.
- Continue until the eggs have mostly set and are not runny.
- Sprinkle the bacon onto one half of the eggs and add the cheese over the bacon. Now top it with salsa or pineapple.
- Using a reliable spatula, carefully fold the omelette over on itself and lightly press with the spatula. Continue to cook for 30 seconds or so, holding the top of the omelette in place.
- Remove from heat and move the omelette onto a plate to serve.