Spread the joys of the pleasant season with Simran Dhanju’s winter special recipes using corn.
Corn, Carrot and Sweet Pepper Fritters
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (low fat)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup freshly scraped corn kernels
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower Oil for shallow frying
- In a bowl, put flour, corn, carrots, sweet peppers, onions, parsley, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk together, pour it into the flour mixture; combine everything together to get a pancake batter consistency.
- Heat crepe pan and pour some oil. Now drop 2 tablespoons of batter on the pan and spread a little with the back of the spoon. Cook on medium fire, turn over and drizzle some more oil into the pan. Cook until the centre is cooked and golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with a sweet chilli sauce or peri-peri sauce.
- 2 fresh sweet corncobs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp extra hot peri-peri sauce
- 2tbsp lime and mango peri-peri sauce
- 2tbsp paneer (fresh cheese), crumbled
- 1/2tsp chilli lime powder
- Sea salt
- Fresh lime or lemon wedges
- Peel off the husk from corns.
- On an open flame or on coals, grill or char the corns on all sides.
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise and both the peri-peri sauces together. Spread it on the charred corns, sprinkle paneer, chilli lime powder and salt and squeeze some lemon juice on top.